Springhill Avenue Temple’s Weekly Bulletin
Thursday, January 16, 2020
|**Friday, January 17||6:00 pm||Shabbat Evening Service
Howard Silverman will conduct service
|**Friday, January 24||6:00 pm||Shabbat Evening Service
Sermon: “On Ecclesiastes: To Everything There is a Season”
Roy Hoffman will conduct service
**Please join us in fellowship at the oneg in the Social Hall following services.
- Mi Shebeirach: In Our Prayers – If you or someone you know would like to be listed for the month of January, please contact Susie at the Temple Office (firstname.lastname@example.org or 251-478-0415). This list will be cleared at the end of each month.
- Rabbi Kosovske will be back at Temple on Saturday, January 25 until Wednesday, February 5. Remember that Rabbi is always reachable via telephone and/or email should you need him. Feel free to call Susie in the Temple Office and she will give you his contact information.
- The Mobile Jewish Film Festival continues! You can check out the film schedule by clicking on this link for the dates, times, and movie trailers. Call or text Kathy Lovitt (490-4872) for reservations or email her at email@example.com
- The documentary, Fiddler, A Miracle of Miracles, will be shown at the Temple on Saturday, January 18. There will be a dinner at 6:00 p.m. following by the film at 7:00 p.m. The film has been designated at the Reita Franco Memorial Film. Don’t forget to RSVP and get your tickets through Kathy at the MAJF – 490-4872 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- A Temple Work Day has been scheduled & we need your help! Sunday, January 19, 2020 beginning at 9:30 – 10:00 a.m. In preparation for the Religious School’s Tu B’Shevat session in February, we will be cleaning up the Temple grounds, i.e., removing dead foliage, trimming limbs, bushes, etc. If we can get enough people to participate, we should have everything completed within a few of hours. If you can help and you have any of the following tools, please bring them with you – tree/bush pruners, shovels, hedge trimmers, chainsaws, etc. Bagels and doughnuts will be served. Questions? Contact Larry Miller – 648-0401.
- Temple Beth El of Pensacola invites friends in Mobile to participate in their biennial Shabbaton on Saturday, January 25. They have invited the congregation of Springhill Avenue Temple to join them for this amazing day of learning, worship, and fun. The start time is 10:00 am. The entire day is free with the exception of an optional catered dinner at 5:30 pm. Reservations are required for the dinner. To RSVP and for more information, please contact Temple Beth El at 850-438-3321.
- This year Tu B’Shevat begins the evening of Sunday, February 9 and on that date, during their regular session at 10:00 a.m., the Religious School will have its yearly seder and planting . If you intend to plant any trees, now is the time to place your order – blueberry, apple, plum, citrus of all varieties, fig, olive, avocado, lime, mulberry, and pomegranate. Only $35 each. If interested, contact Larry Miller – 251-648-0401.
- The next Religious School session is scheduled for Sunday, January 26 at 10:00 a.m.
- Rabbi Kosovske’s next Torah Study is scheduled for Wednesday, January 29 at 5:00 p.m. (Please note the earlier start time so as not to interfere with the ongoing Jewish Film Festival schedule).
CONGREGATION SHA’ARAI SHOMAYIM RELIGIOUS SCHOOL
WEBPAGE IS CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION
With a rich history of tradition, the sisterhood has been and continues to be the fundamental source of Temple life. All holiday, family dinners and Onegs are organized and run by Sisterhood volunteers. We support the youth of the congregation by donations to SHAFTY, NFTY and UAHC camps as well as gifts for B’nai Mitvah and holiday packages to our college students. Sisterhood supports the Temple financially by raising funds refurbishments,for kitchen renovations and office and library equipment, social hall furnishings and religious needs.
Sisterhood helps to furnish and stock inventory for the Temple Gift Shop, which proceeds help to fund aforementioned charitable events.
All congregants are encouraged and welcome to become sisterhood members. Feel free to call the Temple office at 478-0415 for contact information.
You can pay your dues, make donations, purchase fruit trees, flowers and/or whatever is currently being offered via the Sisterhood/Men’s Club store.
The Springhill Avenue Temple Men’s Club is a vital part of the Congregation Sha’arai Shomayim community. We are men that are interested in supporting our families, our community, our fellow congregants and the youth that will shape our future. All this is accomplished by our connection to Judaism.
The Men’s Club supports the Congregation through a variety of annual mitzvah projects. We organize various “work days” to help members of the community whether it is storm cleanup or general repairs and renovations. The Men’s Club volunteers make hundreds of Latkes every year for the annual Hanukkah party as well as erect the Sukkah used by the congregation and religious school.
We also meet socially to strengthen our members’ connection to Judaism and to the Congregation.
Watch the bulletin and be sure to join us at the next Men’s Club meeting! Feel free to call the Temple office at 478-0415 for contact information.
Welcome to the Sisterhood Gift Shop. Judaica items help bring Jewish ritual alive within our homes and in our community. If you need a mezuzah for a new home or a gift for an upcoming simcha, visit our fully stocked shop of unique and affordable Judaica items.
The Gift Shop is managed by Amy Friedlander and Judy Aronson and there is a wide variety of unique and distinctive items in stock and they can also special order individual items. From traditional to contemporary – educational to whimsical – hand crafted to bulk – there is something for everyone.
Getting married, having a baby, or celebrating a Bar/ Bat Mitzvah? These life cycle events require a celebration! Many celebrations include receiving many lovely gifts. Make it easy for family and friends to choose the perfect gift by registering at your Temple Gift Shop.
The next time you need that special gift, stop by your Temple gift shop. Please call the Temple office for store hours.