Archive for May 2020
Springhill Avenue Temple’s Weekly Bulletin
Thursday, February 25, 2021
|Friday, February 26
||6:15 pm||Purim Shabbat Service via Zoom
Rabbi John Kaplan will conduct service
from our sanctuary
|Friday, March 5
||6:15 pm||Shabbat Evening Service via Zoom
Rabbi Natan Trief will conduct service
Instructions for attending all Shabbat Services and events: Go to zoom.us or your zoom app and click on the “Join a meeting” tab. When asked for the Meeting ID, type in 869 7297 9837 and click “Join”. You will then be asked for a password. After entering the password, click continue. You will then be in the meeting. Make sure your video and microphone are on before services begin so you can talk with friends. Just before services, please MUTE YOUR MICROPHONE. If you are calling in, please dial 1-301-715-8592.
YOU MUST HAVE THE PASSWORD TO ATTEND: If you do not have the password, have forgotten the password, or are having trouble connecting via Zoom, please contact Nate Ginsberg (251-463-4845; email@example.com) or Howard Silverman (251-605-8832; firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Win Dinner with Your Movie! The Mobile Jewish Film Festival and Israeli Chef Bat Hen Cohen have partnered together to provide one lucky winner a free dinner to enjoy during their film of choice during the Mobile Jewish Film Festival! Bat Hen Cohen, an Israeli living in Mobile with her family, mixes her Israeli and Moroccan roots to create flavorful fare to delight your senses. The winner will receive a delicious main course with a wine pairing for two people, delivered to your door to enjoy with one of our seven films. All entries must be received no later than Friday, February 26 at 9:00 am and must be in either the Mobile or Baldwin counties. One winner will be chosen on Friday, February 26 at 2:00 pm. Live on the MJFF Facebook page. Enter Here to Win Dinner for 2.
- The AL.com website has published an article on the Mobile Jewish Film Festival. Click on this link to learn how the film festival has become more than just a local event.
- Message from our Covid-19 Committee – Our initial step to opening the Temple has been completed. We are pleased to announce the completion of the installation of a self-cleaning ionization air purification system in all of our HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) systems in the Temple. This system reduces the spread of the Covid-19 and all other viruses to all areas of the Temple, as long as the HVAC systems are operating. From Howard Silverman and Nate Ginsberg, Covid-19 Committee Co-Chairs.
- Tickets On Sale Now! 2021 Mobile Jewish Film Festival – Friday, March 5 – Thursday, March 25 – This year’s Mobile Jewish Film Festival will be held virtually. An exciting lineup of seven (7) films and accompanying programming will be featured. Individual tickets are $9 per film, household tickets are $15, and the full festival pass is $60. To purchase tickets, see trailers, info on sponsorships, membership, and donations are all available through the link shown below or you can call Cassie at (251) 490-4872. https://www.goelevent.com/mobilejewishfilmfestival/e/List. This event is sponsored by the Mobile Area Jewish Federation, the Pensacola Jewish Federation, and the Jewish Federation of Huntsville and North Alabama.
- Virtual LimmudFest 2021 New Orleans brings Jews from all corners of the region together for a unique shared educational experience. On Sunday, March 14 from 12:00 Noon to 3:00 pm, local, national, and international presenters will be sharing their passions on topics ranging from Torah to theater to food. Choose your own path in an “un-conference” style learning environment. To register, for more information, and to sign-up for email updates, go to http://limmudnola.org/
- Adult Education Committee Special Program – The Book of Job – March 23, 2021 – 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. – Rabbi Kaplan will make a short introduction to the Book of Job, followed by 5-minute presentations of different perspectives by Bill Shulman, Carol Eberlein, and Ralph Holberg. After the presentations, all congregants will be encouraged to share their thoughts in an open discussions moderated by Diane Frank from the Adult Education Committee. Zoom information will be sent out in a separate email from the Temple.
- If you missed the Adult Education Committee’s last event, Michael Palmer’s presentation on Eric Mendelsohn’s Synagogues in America, it has now been uploaded to the Temple’s YouTube channel. You can access it here.
- Add Your Voice to the Talking Archive – The McCall Library is the archives of the University of South Alabama whose mission is to preserve the historical record of all of Mobile’s people. In 2020, library began collecting interviews from members of Mobile’s Jewish community. The Jewish Mobile Oral History Project goal is to collect a group of 35-50 oral history interviews from Mobile’s Jewish community. Young and old, Jews by birth and by choice, Southern families and transplants, observant and less so, affiliated and unaffiliated – they want to hear from you! Please contact Deborah Gurt to schedule your interview or to ask questions. Some sample topic examples would be about family, food, religious life at home, congregational life, education, business, Mobile social life, etc. But each interview will be unique and shaped by you. Don’t miss this opportunity to participate! Contact Deborah Gurt, Interim Director, McCall Library, University of South Alabama – email@example.com and/or 251-341-3901
- Springhill Avenue Temple is now on YouTube where you can watch past services and events. On your computer, go to YouTube.com, search for Springhill Avenue Temple and there you are! You will have to signup for a YouTube account, if you do not already have one. To find the Temple’s videos faster try searching the words “Springhill Avenue Temple” using quotes around the Temple name.
- Mi Shebeirach: In Our Prayers – If you or someone you know would like to be listed for the month of February, please contact Susie at the Temple Office (firstname.lastname@example.org or 251-478-0415). This list will be cleared at the end of each month.
Jerry “Woodie” Dobbins
- The next Religious School & Confirmation Classes – are scheduled for Sunday, March 7.
- A Torah Study with Rabbi John Kaplan has been scheduled for Wednesday, March 24, at 5:30 p.m. via Zoom.