Springhill Avenue Temple’s Weekly Bulletin
Thursday, November 8, 2018
|Friday, November 9||6:00 pm||Shabbat Evening Service
Howard Silverman will conduct service
|Friday, November 16||6:00 pm||Shabbat Evening Service|
- Mi Shebeirach: In Our Prayers – If you or someone you know would like to be listed for the month of October, please contact Susie at the Temple Office (firstname.lastname@example.org or 251-478-0415). Springhill Avenue Temple will clear this list at the end of each month.
Our prayer for healing this month includes
- Film Screening: “A City Without Jews” will be shown tonight, Thursday, November 8, 2018, 6:00 pm, at the Mobile Museum of Art. The film is a 1924 film based on the 1922 novel of the same title by Hugo Bettauer, an Austrian Jew. This year is the 80th commemoration year of this horrific event. There will be a 10 minute introduction before the 80-minute film screening followed by a Q&A session. This event is sponsored by the Gulf Coast Center for Holocaust and Human Rights Education. For more information – http://www.mobilemuseumofart.com/our-programs/film-screening-a-city-without-jews/
- All Veterans are invited! This Sunday, November 11, the Religious School and Hebrew School will meet at the Springhill Avenue Temple Cemetery to honor our Jewish Veterans by setting flags at their grave sites. The service will start at 10:30 a.m., veterans attending need to be at the cemetery 15 to 30 minutes earlier.
- Be a Part of your Temple’s 175th Anniversary – You can order t-shirts, polos, or a stainless steel tumbler – all will carry the 175th Temple logo. Order forms can be found in your November Temple Bulletin, outside the chapel at Temple, by calling the Temple Office or by clicking here. Orders are due November 14. Contact Diana Kubat at 405-249-5369 or email@example.com
- Volunteers Are Needed for the 2018 Mobile International Festival – November 14-17. Your help is needed in setting up and manning the Israeli booth during the festival. This year’s venue is at the the Mobile Fairgrounds on Cody Road. Volunteers can help with the western wall, answer questions, talk about Israeli customs & traditions, pass out free literature, stamp student passports, and write names in Hebrew. There are six (6) different shifts beginning with the afternoon setup on Wednesday afternoon, November 14th and ending with the 4:30 p.m. afternoon take down on Saturday, November 17. Kathy at MAJF can fill you in on the shift times. So please, if you have just a few hours to volunteer, email Kathy (firstname.lastname@example.org) and/or call or text Kathy at 251-680-7979.
- Ahavas Chesed is having a Gan Shalom Preschool Fundraiser by selling Carpe Diem Coffee for the holiday season! $15 for regular or decaf Hanukkah & Christmas blends (ground coffee) in festive colored bags. Please place your order by November 16 for pick-up by December 1 at the Synagogue Office. To place your order contact Abby Kennedy (email@example.com). Checks should be made out to Ahavas Chesed/Gan Shalom.
- Save the Date! Sunday, December 2, 2018 at 5:00 p.m., is the Joint Hanukkah Celebration with Ahavas Chesed Synagogue at the Springhill Avenue Temple. Members of the shul, please RSVP to the synagogue & Temple members, please call the Temple Office by Monday, November 26 – $5 in advance or $15 at the door. Please make checks payable to Springhill Avenue Temple Men’s Club. Dinner, latkes, magic show, menorah lighting, and so much more!
- Also Don’t Forget! Friday, December 7, 2018, the Springhill Avenue Temple is doing our Traditional Friday Shabbat Hanukkah Service with our Religious School students. Glen Mutchnick will conduct the service and our students will perform their Hanukkah skit during the service. Dinner will include the delicious, famous potato latkes by David and Richard Rose.
- Israel Experience Scholarships, are available from your Federation for high school aged children in organized, educational, and cultural programs in Israel. Application deadline is December 31, 2018. Contact Kathy 490-4872 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for scholarship application and policy.
- Mark your calendars for February 1-2, 2019 (Friday & Saturday) when we celebrate the 175th Anniversary of Springhill Avenue Temple!
- For Sunday, November 11, the Religious School and Hebrew School will meet at the Springhill Avenue Temple Cemetery at 10:30 a.m. and will honor our Jewish Veterans by setting flags at their grave sites.
- The next Wednesday Torah Study is scheduled for November 14 at 5:30 p.m. The weekly Torah portion is Genesis 28:10 – 32:3; Haftarah: Hosea 12:13 – 14:10, which will be discussed.