Springhill Avenue Temple’s Weekly Bulletin
Thursday, August 10, 2017
|Friday, August 11||6:00 p.m.||Shabbat Evening Service
Sarah Hochhauser to lead services
|Friday, August 18||6:00 p.m.||Shabbat Evening Service|
- Rosh Hashanah services are going to be a “blast” this year! The Music Committee is currently seeking shofar volunteers for the 5778 High Holy Days. We need shofar sounders, but we also need someone with great administrative skills to coordinate with our volunteers; someone to manage borrowed shofars and schedule practice sessions for the volunteers; and, members who would be willing to lend a shofar to be sounded in the service. No experience or music knowledge is necessary; if you can count to nine, you’re in! Please contact the Temple Office at 251-478-0415 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you are able to help our congregation experience the mitzvah of hearing the Shofar this season.
- Eastern Shore Barbeque/Pool Party/Havdalah Service – Saturday, August 12th at 6:00 p.m., join us for a grilling good time! BYOB – kosher hot dogs, buns, and condiments will be provided by the Eastern Shore Committee. To RSVP and to sign up for cole slaw, potato salad, chips & dip, etc., contact Carol (990-3060 or email@example.com) or Deborah (firstname.lastname@example.org). The committee reserves the right to monitor for duplications. Your hosts are Carol and Steve Zimmerman, 203 North Circle, Fairhope. (Please bring your own towel if you plan on swimming.)
- The Western Shore Torah Study Group will meet again on Thursday, August 17th at 6:30 p.m., at the same venue (Wingate by Wyndham, 12009 Indian River Road, D’Iberville, MS; 228-396-0036). The topic is “Rosh Hashanah – Why More Holy Day Than Holiday?”. For members and those interested in the Jewish faith. For questions and/or more information, please contact Dr. Cal Ennis at 228-623-0479.
- Temple Beth El in Pensacola is hosting their 10th Annual Poker Tournament on Saturday, August 26th. Doors open at 4:15 p.m., play starts at 5:00 p.m. NO LIMIT HOLDEM. Rebuys til 7:15 p.m. Buy-in: pre-registration $100 (1st 100 people); at door $110. Free food and cash bar. For more information call Terry Gross at 434-3333 or 449-1762.
- URJ Kesher Birthright Israel registration opens on September 5! Eat the most delicious hummus of your life. Touch ancient ruins, visited by your ancestors for thousands of years. Wander with your besties and meet amazing new people, too. Join Kesher for your FREE Birthright Israel adventure. Create an account now to guarantee your place on the trip of your choice. Visit bit.ly/KesherPriority today. Registration opens on September 5. Need more info? Visit GoKesher.org
- You are cordially invited to join us for the 2017 Sisterhood & Men’s Club Opening Brunch (10:00 a.m.) & Shabbat Service (11:00 a.m.), Saturday, September 9th – The agenda will include: Recognition of past presidents (if you served as President of the Sisterhood or Men’s Club, please let us know.); introduction of new officers; and information regarding our Social Service Program of this year. Dues will be collected at the door. Please RSVP. If you want to eat, we want to feed you! We can only do that if we know you are coming! To RSVP, please call the Temple Office – 478-0415.
- The Temple Book Club will meet again in the Temple Library on Sunday, August 27th at 1:00 p.m. The book being discussed will be Herzog by Saul Bellow.
- Come on, let’s play a game! Mahjong and Scrabble tiles are being dealt every Monday in the Social Hall at 3:00 p.m. Lessons are free, playing is fun! Or bring your own game and play with us – a game of gin rummy, perhaps? Come join us every week!
- TIKKUN OLAM – We are looking to identify a Mitzvah project in the broader Mobile community. If you want to submit a project idea and would also be interested in participating and volunteering a bit of your time, let us know. It is a Mitzvah to strengthen and repair the world and in the process we strengthen the Temple and ourselves. Anne Zelnicker will collect your ideas and interest. Please email her at email@example.com.
- Your New Year’s Greeting! The New Year begins at sundown on Wednesday, September 20th. You should have already received Sisterhood’s letter in the mail. If you would like to have the names of your family members published in the bulletin for September, please send in a contribution to Temple Sisterhood before August 21st.
- Don’t forget to check out Rabbi’s Weekly Blog. Rabbi’s blog this week is entitled, “Neil Sass, President of the Mobile Area Jewish Federation”. This link will also be published on Rabbi’s FaceBook page (Dana Kaplan), so be sure to send him a friend request! Rabbi’s webpage is www.danakaplan.com.
- There will be a Religious School Teacher Workshop on Sunday, August 20th. at 10:00 a.m. More details will be sent via the Temple’s Religious School Director, Patricia Silverman.
- Sunday, August 27th is the first day of Religious School which will include a Sunday Family Shabbat Model Service with Seth Cherniak and a parents meeting. More details will be sent via the Temple’s Religious School Director, Patricia Silverman.
- The next Wednesday Torah Study is scheduled for Wednesday, August 16th at 5:30 p.m.