Springhill Avenue Temple’s Weekly Bulletin
Thursday, September 20, 2018
|Friday, September 21||6:00 pm||Shabbat Evening Service|
|Friday, September 28||6:00 pm||Shabbat Evening Service|
- Mi Shebeirach: In Our Prayers – If you or someone you know would like to be listed for the month of September, please contact Susie at the Temple Office (firstname.lastname@example.org or 251-478-0415). Springhill Avenue Temple will clear this list at the end of each month.
Our prayer for healing this month includes
Freda Pessa Bot Fayga
Efrayim ben Frida
Mark & Margaret Segal
- Sukkot Festival this year will take place on Erev Sukkot, Sunday, September 23, in conjunction with the Ahavas Chesed Synagogue. Festivities will begin at 4:30 p.m. followed by a dinner at 5:30 p.m. To help offset the expenses, the cost is $5 per person over the age of 7.
- “Feeding the Gulf Coast” (formerly known as the Bay Area Food Bank) – The Springhill Avenue Temple Social Action Committee will hold another food drive this year during the High Holy Days. Each family will be given a grocery bag at the conclusion of the Rosh Hashanah services. The barrels are situated throughout the Temple for your food donations and will be picked up on Thursday, September 27. Please do not drop off anything after that date. Thank you.
- The Southern Jewish Historical Society Conference (SJHS) is all set and will take place from October 26-28, 2018. Out-of-town guests will stay at the Admiral Hotel. Events will take place at Spring Hill College, the University of South Alabama (USA), and at the hotel. For those interested in attending the entire conference, you need to register at: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2018-sjhs-conference-mobile-alabama-tickets-45481719046. You will also need to register for membership in the SJHS, as only members can attend (it is $36 for the year). If you are only interested in attending the Friday night dinner at the Temple, you can register directly with the Gulf Coast Center for Holocaust and Human Rights Education by contacting Don Berry (email@example.com). The cost is $40 per person and you can pay directly by check. FYI, the only way to guarantee a spot for dinner on Friday night is by registering for the entire conference. Conference attendees automatically get preference for dinner, as we will have a cap on total guests (approx. 170-180) due to space issues. For more about this year’s conference, see: https://www.jewishsouth.org/upcoming-conference
- Mark your calendars for February 1-2, 2019 (Friday & Saturday) when we celebrate the 175th Anniversary of Springhill Avenue Temple!
- The next Religious School and Hebrew School at the Temple is scheduled for Sunday, September 30. Hope to see you all at the Sukkot celebration at the shul on Sunday, September 23. Festivities begin at 4:30 p.m!
- The next Wednesday Torah Study is scheduled for September 26, at 5:30 p.m. The weekly Torah portion is Chol HaMo-eid Sukkot – Intermediate Days of Sukkot Holidays – Exodus 33:12–34:26 and will be discussed.