Springhill Avenue Temple’s Weekly Bulletin
Thursday, October 11, 2018
|Friday, October 12||6:00 pm||Shabbat Evening Service
Steve Muhlfelder will conduct service
|Friday, October 19||6:00 pm||Shabbat Evening Service|
- Mi Shebeirach: In Our Prayers – If you or someone you know would like to be listed for the month of October, please contact Susie at the Temple Office (firstname.lastname@example.org or 251-478-0415). Springhill Avenue Temple will clear this list at the end of each month.
Our prayer for healing this month includes
Mark & Margaret Segal
- LAST CHANCE FOR DINNER RESERVATIONS! The Southern Jewish Historical Society Conference (SJHS) is all set and will take place from October 26-28, 2018. The Friday Shabbat Service on October 26 at the Temple will begin a few minutes earlier than usual at 5:45 p.m. This is due to the dinner and presentations planned for after the service.
The dinner will be catered by Naman’s and tickets are $40 payable by check to GCCHHRE (Gulf Coast Center for Holocaust and Human Rights Education) and sent to Don Berry at 1323 Dauphin St., Mobile 36604. For food planning purposes, Dr. Meola must have the reservation numbers BY FRIDAY (tomorrow), OCTOBER 12. So, please if you are planning to attend, please secure your reservation today! Call the GCCHHRE at 251-455-3592 or email Don Berry at email@example.com or
For those interested in attending the entire conference, you will need to register at: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2018-sjhs-conference-mobile-alabama-tickets-45481719046. You will also need to register for membership in the SJHS, as only members can attend (it is $36 for the year). For more about this year’s conference, see: https://www.jewishsouth.org/upcoming-conference
- The Mobile Christian-Jewish Dialogue and the Gulf Coast Center for Holocaust & Human Rights (GCCHHRE) present a lecture by Rabbi Polak, “Elie Wiesel – The Day After the Holocaust”, Tuesday, October 16, 7:00 p.m., at Corpus Christi Catholic Church Adult Education Room.
- Wednesday, October 17, from 9:30 a.m. until 11:00 a.m., Rabbi Polak will conduct a Torah Study, “The Binding of Isaac (Genesis 22)” at the Satori Coffee House. If interested in this and/or Rabbi Polak’s other events (http://www.mobilecjdialogue.org/events.htm), please reserve space by contacting Don Berry, Chair of Mobile Christian-Jewish Dialogue Program, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Our monthly birthday and anniversary celebration for October is scheduled for next Friday, October 19. David Rose has signed on to bake his famous CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE for the event. The only requirements for attending are being a celebrant and/or loving chocolate cheesecake!
- The Blessing of the Animals on the Avenue in memory of Helen Small will be held this year on Sunday, October 21 at 11:15 a.m. The service will be officiated by her brother, Glen Mutchnick Bring your beloved family pets for their yearly blessing! All dogs should be on leashes and cats and other critters contained in carriers to prevent any accidental mishaps. Please come and let us share together the memory of Helen Small.
- Volunteers Are Needed for the 2018 Mobile International Festival – November 14-17. Your help is needed in setting up and manning the Israeli booth during the festival. This year’s venue is at the the Mobile Fairgrounds on Cody Road. Volunteers can help with the western wall, answer questions, talk about Israeli customs & traditions, pass out free literature, stamp student passports, and write names in Hebrew. There are six (6) different shifts beginning with the afternoon setup on Wednesday afternoon, November 14th and ending with the 4:30 p.m. afternoon take down on Saturday, November 17. Kathy at MAJF can fill you in on the shift times. So please, if you have just a few hours to volunteer, email Kathy (email@example.com) and/or call or text Kathy at 251-680-7979.
- The Southern Jewish Historical Society Conference (SJHS) is all set and will take place from October 26-28, 2018. Out-of-town guests will stay at the Admiral Hotel. Events will take place at Spring Hill College, the University of South Alabama (USA), and at the hotel. For those interested in attending the entire conference, you need to register at: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2018-sjhs-conference-mobile-alabama-tickets-45481719046. You will also need to register for membership in the SJHS, as only members can attend (it is $36 for the year). If you are only interested in attending the Friday night dinner at the Temple, you can register directly with the Gulf Coast Center for Holocaust and Human Rights Education by contacting Don Berry (firstname.lastname@example.org). The cost is $40 per person and you can pay directly by check. FYI, the only way to guarantee a spot for dinner on Friday night is by registering for the entire conference. Conference attendees automatically get preference for dinner, as we will have a cap on total guests (approx. 170-180) due to space issues. For more about this year’s conference, see: https://www.jewishsouth.org/upcoming-conference
- Mark your calendars for February 1-2, 2019 (Friday & Saturday) when we celebrate the 175th Anniversary of Springhill Avenue Temple!
- The next Religious School and Hebrew School at the Temple is scheduled for Sunday, October 14.
- The next Wednesday Torah Study is scheduled for October 17, at 5:30 p.m. The weekly Torah portion is Genesis 12:1 – 17:27; Haftarah: Isaiah 40:27 – 41:16, which will be discussed.