Springhill Avenue Temple’s Weekly Bulletin
Thursday, December 6, 2018
|Friday, December 7||6:00 pm||Religious School Hanukkah Service
Rabbi Kosovske & Glen Mutchnick
will conduct service
|Friday, December 14||6:00 pm||Shabbat Evening Service|
- Mi Shebeirach: In Our Prayers – If you or someone you know would like to be listed for the month of December, please contact Susie at the Temple Office (email@example.com or 251-478-0415). Springhill Avenue Temple will clear this list at the end of each month.
Our prayer for healing this month includes
Mary Lou Malcolm
- Rabbi Kosovske has taught us that on Shabbat, unlike the on rest of the days of the week, we say hamotzi (the blessing recited over bread) not over a piece of bread but, rather, only over a whole loaf. Therefore, now, when motzi is recited at the end of our Shabbat services, you will see a small whole challah being held. While the “loaf” you see will be small, it will be full. May that serve as a wish for our lives too, that, like that challah, our lives always will have a fullness.
- Rabbi Kosovske will depart this Saturday, December 8, and his next visit is scheduled for Thursday, January 24, 2019 thru Sunday, February 3, 2019. So as to avoid any confusion, please contact Susie at the Temple office for scheduling of dates and times with the Rabbi during his stays.
- Also Don’t Forget! Tomorrow night, Friday, December 7, 2018, the Springhill Avenue Temple is doing our Traditional Friday Shabbat Hanukkah Service with our Religious School students. Rabbi Kosovske will be here to conduct the service with the help of Glen Mutchnick and our students will perform their Hanukkah skit during the service. Dinner will include the delicious, famous potato latkes by David and Richard Rose. For planning purposes, please RSVP – thank you! The Temple Gift Shop will be open!
- The Joint Hanukkah Celebration was a great success! And it would not have been possible without all the helpers. Thank you to everyone for your help and part in this endeavor.
A big thank you to:
Judy Aronson, Stan Chassin, Harvey & Sandra Gandler, Barry Bukstein, Iris Ginsberg, Priscilla Gold-Darby, Nathan & Dana Handmacher, Josh & Danielle Isen, Rabbi Howard Kosovske & Janet, David & Veronica Meola, Larry Miller, James Perry, Mike & Alicia Pereira, Amy Friedlander, Rabbi Steve Silberman, Patricia Silverman, Adam Tolpin, Barry Silverman, Eileen Susman, Susie & Barry Fox, Alicia, Bernie & Barbara Malkov, Jonathan Fratkin, Cindy & Ben Bloom, Katie Webster, Rachel Nease, Sarah Sternberg, Michelle Touchton, Steve Katz, Mehrdad Vaghefi, Venetia Bond, Alicia Pettway, and Melissa Bunn.
The excess pizzas were sent to the two congregations’ closest first responders. The Mobile Fire Department Fire Houses at Ashland Place and Regency/Airport Boulevard. – from Larry Miller, Barry Bukstein & Priscilla Gold-Darby
- December 15 is the deadline to be included in the Temple Bulletin Special Celebratory Edition for our 175th Anniversary! If you or your company would like to send congratulatory, remembrance, and/or well wishes, several options with pricing are available and were published in the December Temple Bulletin or you can view them here. You will need to supply camera ready artwork, photos, and/or copy for publication. This is a great way to contribute and be a part of the Temple’s 175th anniversary. Questions? Call the Temple Office – 478-0415.
- The Religious School’s Tu B’Shevat seder and planting is scheduled for Sunday, January 27, 2019 at 10:00 a.m. To beautify the Temple grounds for the 175th Anniversary Event or for at home, you can purchase daffodils, paper whites, fruit, or citrus trees through the Men’s Club & Sisterhood’s store online here or by contacting Larry Miller for more information.
- Israel Experience Scholarships, are available from your Federation for high school aged children in organized, educational, and cultural programs in Israel. Application deadline is December 31, 2018. Contact Kathy 490-4872 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for scholarship application and policy.
- Mark your calendars for February 1-2, 2019 (Friday & Saturday) when we celebrate the 175th Anniversary of Springhill Avenue Temple!
- The next session of the Religious School and Hebrew School is scheduled for tomorrow night, Friday, December 7 at 5:30 p.m., when we will practice the Hanukkah skit before services.
- The next Wednesday Torah Study is scheduled for December 12 at 5:30 p.m. The weekly Torah portion is Genesis 44:18 – 47:27; Haftarah: Ezekiel 37:15 – 37:28, which will be discussed.