Stay up to date on Temple events. Sign up for informative e-mail bulletins by sending an e-mail to our Admin Contact.
Springhill Avenue Temple’s Weekly Bulletin
Thursday, May 18, 2017
|Friday, May 19||6:00 p.m.||Shabbat Evening Service
with the Congregational Choir
Guest Speaker: Elliot Cherniak
Topic: Elliot’s proposed Eagle Scout project at the Temple
|Friday, May 26||6:00 p.m.||Confirmation Shavuot Service
Confirmand: Sarah Sternberg
Special Oneg to follow
- “In Our Hands: The Battle for Jerusalem”, the movie, will be shown in select theaters nationwide on Tuesday, May 23rd at 7:00 p.m. You can get tickets NOW for this powerful retelling of how Israel’s history changed forever over the course of six days in June, 1967. The movie will be shown in Mobile at the following theaters: Mobile Stadium 18 on 1250 Satchell Paige Drive and the Mobile 16 on 785 South Schillinger Road; also in Daphne at the Jubilee Square 12 Theater at 6898 US 90. Tickets purchased online only! Buy yours today at http://inourhands1967.com
- New Prayer Books for High Holy Days – On Thursday, May 11th, an order for 190 sets of the new High Holy Day Prayer Books (Mishkan Hanefesh) was placed. We are waiting to see when they will be shipped by truck from the CCAR warehouse. We are very proud of our historic congregation for stepping up and supporting our Rabbi in this project. Jack Friedlander was the driving force behind the fund raising. This new prayer book is a two volume set – with a gold cover for Rosh Hashanah and a silver cover for Yom Kippur. – Your Religious Practices Committee
- The Eastern Shore Torah Study Group will be on hiatus until after summer. The next group study is projected to be in September. The date, time, and host residence to be determined at a later date.
- The Temple Book Club is scheduled to meet again in the Temple Library on Sunday, May 21st at 10:30 a.m. The book being discussed is the novel, The Book of Daniel”, by E. L. Doctorow.
- Ofir’s Farewell Reception will be held on Sunday, May 21st at Ahavas Chesed Synagogue from 2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Please join us in saying “Shalom!”
- The Western Shore Torah Study group will gather together again on Tuesday, June 6th at 6:30 p.m at the home of Paula Perry (3730 Cumberland Drive, Moss Point, MS, 39563). Discussion will focus on “Treatment of Women in the Jewish Bible – The Good and the Bad”. For more information, please call Dr. Cal Ennis (228-623-0479).
- Saturday, June 3rd is our Saturday Morning Shabbat Service and Breakfast. Blintzes will be served for breakfast at 9:30 a.m. with Shabbat Service following at 10:30 a.m.
- The Temple Annual Meeting is Sunday, June 4th at 10:30 a.m. Don’t miss this very important meeting! Get a status report on your Temple, participate in the nomination, election, and induction of new officers. The Men’s Club and Sisterhood will provide light food and refreshments. Please RSVP for food planning purposes.
- Don’t forget to check out Rabbi’s Blog, “Ofir Serving in the IDF“. This link will also be published on Rabbi’s FaceBook page (Dana Kaplan), so be sure to send him a friend request! Rabbi’s webpage is www.danakaplan.com.
- Both he Hebrew and Religious Schools are out of session. Have a great summer!
- The next Wednesday Torah Study is scheduled for Wednesday, May 24th at 5:30 p.m.