Archive for June 2013
Springhill Avenue Temple’s Weekly Bulletin
Thursday, June 20, 2019
|Friday, June 21||6:00 pm||Shabbat Evening Service
Nate Ginsberg will conduct service
|Friday, June 28||6:00 pm||Shabbat Evening Service
Anne Zelnicker will conduct service
- Mi Shebeirach: In Our Prayers – If you or someone you know would like to be listed for the month of June, please contact Susie at the Temple Office (email@example.com or 251-478-0415). Springhill Avenue Temple will clear this list at the end of each month.
Our prayer for healing this month includes
- Rabbi Kosovske will be at Temple from Thursday, July 25 through Saturday, August 3. Please remember, that Rabbi is always reachable via telephone and/or email should you need him. Feel free to call Susie in the Temple Office and she will give you his contact information.
- Volunteers are needed to conduct three Friday Evening Shabbat Services during the month of July – Friday, July 5, Friday, July 12, and Friday, July 19. Please call the Temple Office if you can help in officiating any of these Shabbat Services.
- Your Input is Needed! – As times change, we need to evaluate where we have been and where we are going. Over the years, the Men’s Club and Sisterhood have served our congregation as two separate entities, but with the same goals. As we approach a new fiscal year, we would like your feedback on merging the Men’s Club and Sisterhood into one new organization. By merging both organizations, it will bring together a larger pool of people to take on the meaningful roles that support our Jewish rituals. We encourage all individuals, members, and non-members to provide your thoughts to Larry Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org or 251-648-0401) or Priscilla Gold-Darby (email@example.com or 251-454-1924). Feedback is due the evening of Friday, June 21.
- Both Religious School & Hebrew School are out of session until registration in the Fall. The Registration date will be announced once it is determined.
- The next Torah Study is Wednesday, June 26 at 5:30 p.m. The weekly Torah portion is Numbers 16:1 – 18:32; Haftarah: I Samuel 11:14 – 12:22, which will be discussed.
CONGREGATION SHA’ARAI SHOMAYIM RELIGIOUS SCHOOL
WEBPAGE IS CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Sha’arai Shomayim Cemetery, located on Owen Street in Mobile, consists of fifteen acres. A long driveway leads to the cemetery proper, which is surrounded by century-old live oaks and a nineteenth century ornamental cast iron fence. The gate features an archway with the congregation name in metal Hebrew letters. Paved lanes allow each access throughout the cemetery and a cast iron gazebo sits in the center. The graves themselves are oriented east west. There are some spectacular family plots with stone revetments and finely carved markers. A number of mausolea are located on the grounds.
The first interment took place December 28, 1876. This was Israel I. Jones, one of Mobile’s most prominent early Jewish citizens and president of the congregation for thirty years. The funeral was attended by a multitude of friends. Members of a local fire company and Masonic fraternity led the procession.
It should be noted that the current cemetery is our newest cemetery. The Temple’s original cemetery was located in Magnolia Cemetery and was almost completely filled by 1875.
Please see below for more pictures of the cemetery:
With a rich history of tradition, the sisterhood has been and continues to be the fundamental source of Temple life. All holiday, family dinners and Onegs are organized and run by Sisterhood volunteers. We support the youth of the congregation by donations to SHAFTY, NFTY and UAHC camps as well as gifts for B’nai Mitvah and holiday packages to our college students. Sisterhood supports the Temple financially by raising funds refurbishments,for kitchen renovations and office and library equipment, social hall furnishings and religious needs.
Sisterhood helps to furnish and stock inventory for the Temple Gift Shop, which proceeds help to fund aforementioned charitable events.
All congregants are encouraged and welcome to become sisterhood members. Feel free to call the Temple office at 478-0415 for contact information.
You can pay your dues, make donations, purchase fruit trees, flowers and/or whatever is currently being offered via the Sisterhood/Men’s Club store.
The Springhill Avenue Temple Men’s Club is a vital part of the Congregation Sha’arai Shomayim community. We are men that are interested in supporting our families, our community, our fellow congregants and the youth that will shape our future. All this is accomplished by our connection to Judaism.
The Men’s Club supports the Congregation through a variety of annual mitzvah projects. We organize various “work days” to help members of the community whether it is storm cleanup or general repairs and renovations. The Men’s Club volunteers make hundreds of Latkes every year for the annual Hanukkah party as well as erect the Sukkah used by the congregation and religious school.
We also meet socially to strengthen our members’ connection to Judaism and to the Congregation.
Watch the bulletin and be sure to join us at the next Men’s Club meeting! Feel free to call the Temple office at 478-0415 for contact information.
Welcome to the Sisterhood Gift Shop. Judaica items help bring Jewish ritual alive within our homes and in our community. If you need a mezuzah for a new home or a gift for an upcoming simcha, visit our fully stocked shop of unique and affordable Judaica items.
The Gift Shop is managed by Amy Friedlander and Judy Aronson and there is a wide variety of unique and distinctive items in stock and they can also special order individual items. From traditional to contemporary – educational to whimsical – hand crafted to bulk – there is something for everyone.
Getting married, having a baby, or celebrating a Bar/ Bat Mitzvah? These life cycle events require a celebration! Many celebrations include receiving many lovely gifts. Make it easy for family and friends to choose the perfect gift by registering at your Temple Gift Shop.
The next time you need that special gift, stop by your Temple gift shop. Please call the Temple office for store hours.
SPRINGHILL AVENUE TEMPLE
1769 Springhill Avenue
Mobile, Alabama 36607
(251) 478-0170 Fax